Home >> About us
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has initiated the project “Awareness Programme on Environmental Hazards of Electronic waste” on March 31, 2015. This project is under the ‘Digital India’ initiative of the Government of India. The project is expected to have far reaching and significant impact on the growth of the country as it focuses on reuse and recycling of e-waste, which has the potential to conserve natural resources. The project has three components viz., Content Development, Inventory Assessment and Awareness Generation amongst different stakeholders. The project will help in effective implementation of E-waste Management, 2016.
The primary focus of the project is to create awareness among different stakeholders in order to reduce the adverse impact on environment and health due to improper disposal of e-waste. MietY has played a key role in dissemination of knowledge on e-waste rules in the past and wishes to engage all key stakeholders during this exercise.
During the project duration of 5 years, a city in each of the 10 identified states viz. Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand, Orissa, Goa, Bihar, Pondicherry, West Bengal, Assam and Manipur will be covered. The activities will include organising awareness workshops for RWAs/Localities, Schools, Colleges, Bulk Consumers (including corporate & Govt. sectors), Informal Sector, Dealers, Refurbishers, Manufacturers, etc. so as to build capacities of the target groups to channelize e-waste in a manner that the rules are effectively implemented. Suitable course curriculum would also be framed for schools/colleges. Effort would be made to prepare the content in local language. This project will also stress on adopting best practices for e-waste recycling available globally, so that the unorganised sector can generate jobs as well as viable business prospects thereby mitigating the impact of improper recycling on the environment. The project will also emphasize on the responsibilities of the producers and covey the message that they must inculcate the principle of Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) and follow the mechanism for channelisation of e-waste from ‘end of life’ products to registered dismantlers or recyclers.
- The said project is under Digital India campaign, and it will impact the overall growth of the country as it Conserves natural resources.
- Recycling recovers valuable materials from old electronics that can be used to make new products. As a result, we save energy, reduce pollution, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and save resources by extracting fewer raw materials from the earth.
- Recycling will create jobs for professional recyclers and refurbishers and creates new markets for the valuable components that are dismantled.
- The project will also take care of the responsibilities of the producers that they must inculcate the Principle of EPR and follow the mechanism for channelization of e-waste to registered dismantler or recyclers.
- The programme will make sure that the responsibilities of other stakeholders are also met for effective implementation of the e-waste management rules, 2016.
- The programme will also work upon the awareness on Reduction in the use of hazardous materials in the manufacture of electrical and electronic equipment and their components.
An Initiative of
Electronics Niketan, 6, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road,
New Delhi: 110003
Phone No. : 011. 24301851
PHD House, 4th Floor,
4/2, Siri Institutional Area, August Kranti Marg,
New Delhi- 110016, India
Phone: 011 2685 5487
NASSCOM Campus, Plot No- 7-10, Sector 126,
Raipur Khadar, Noida-201303, Uttar Pradesh
Phone: 0120 499 0111
F-4 / 23, 4th Floor, Wave 1st Silver Tower,
Sector 18, Noida-201301, Uttar Pradesh
Phone: 0120 426 5697
No. 4/2, Siri Institutional Area,
August Kranti Marg,
New Delhi- 110016
Phone: 011 2686 3804
Plot NO. 3 PSP Pocket Sector-8
Dwarka, New Delhi-110077